Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Woodcarving Basics: Session 1

After searching the various woodcarving videos available online, I found very little to help the absolute beginner. From my experiences teaching Woodcarving Merit Badge to Boy Scouts, I remember the importance of the four basic cuts every woodcarver should master: the push cut, the paring cut, the stop cut and the V-cut. I thought it might help some beginners to show these and present a simple project to practice the four cuts. I like a letter opener as a beginner project. So here's a video with both. enjoy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent Don.

Kitbass said...

Thanks for this video Don. I am fairly new to carving and I found this so informative and you are right when you say that a lot of the videos and literature out there assumes you know all of this.
I cant wait to watch more of your videos!

Thanks again

Brittany said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial. It was very useful! Now I feel like I can jump into a basic project with some success.

Anonymous said...

nice post!!! we have this post of our shop. you can visit of of our site.visit woodcarvingarts.webs.com

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting this ! I am super new at carving , but I'm very excited to do more. This video was so helpful !