Thursday, October 14, 2010

Basswood Chew Toy

Things don't always go as planned. I was preparing a small production run of identical Santa figures. Well, very small, only three figures, but apparently my dog thought they were chew toys. Somehow she got up on my work table and grabbed one of the rough outs and chewed it's feet off.
I was sure I left them out of her reach the next day, but she went and did it again! This time she chewed off the feet and the cap. First, I though I might as well chuck the chewed carvings and just rough out two more, but at this point in time, I'm about dealing with my carving problems head on. That's how to get better, right? So I decided I would continue with the carvings ... they just won't all look the same. My solution: take them to the band saw and remove the chewed bottoms and replace them with new boots which I will carve separately and dowel and glue on. As for the chewed cap? He'll be a bald guy who lost his hat! I'll post the results later.

No comments: